Monday, April 12, 2010

Dance Marathon 2010 - For The Kids!

This past weekend was Dance Marathon 2010 at BGSU. For those who aren't familiar with Dance Marathon (or DM as it's better known on campus), here's a quick synopsis: Dance Marathon at Bowling Green, it is a philanthropic event on an enormous scale to benefit ill or injured children at the Mercy Children's Hospital in Toledo via the Children's Miracle Network. Dance Marathon is run entirely by college students nationwide to benefit local children's hospitals, and Bowling Green State University is proud to have one of the largest and most active Dance Marathon organizations in the nation. Students volunteer to dance for 32 hours straight without sleep or sitting down, morale those who are dancing by bringing them comfort or entertainment things/snacks/walking with them/giving them back and foot rubs, bike 160 miles from Cincinnati, or participate as a Steering or Core Committee member in the planning and execution of the event. Basically, it's kind of a big deal. (read more at BGDanceMarathon.com)

I have participated in it for the past 5 years:
-2006: Moraler for Phi Mu
-2007: Entertainment Core Committee
-2008: Community Outreach Core Committee and moraler
-2009: Mini Marathon Steering Chair
-2010: Alumni Dancer

Dance Marathon was a HUGE part of my life at BGSU, and I participated in it to the fullest extent that I could each year. Last year, as the Mini Marathon Steering Chair, I planned a 6-hour miniature version of DM for local high school students that raised over $8000 for Children's Miracle Network and Toledo Mercy Children's Hospital. It has been the most incredible experience for me, and this year I got to go back with a group of 5 of my best friends to participate in an alumni capacity. It was amazing! Not only was it great to just be back in presence of DM and participating, but it was the 15th anniversary of DM at BGSU, and it was phenomenal to get to meet former Steering members, dancers, and miracle families ( =families with children who directly benefit from the money we raise at DM each year) from the past 15 years. I wish I could put into words what DM means to me, or what it has done for me, but that seems almost impossible-- it's just too amazing of an experience and emotion!

This year, DM raised over $152,000 for CMN and the Children's Hospital and I am so proud of every single person who participated, no matter how big or small the capacity! It was an incredible event this year, and everyone worked so hard to make it amazing and do so much good For The Kids! I am blessed to have been able to be a part of such a fantastic cause for so many years, and look forward to continue my participation in it in the years to come. And, as always, I'm keeping the miracle families in my prayers as their children continue their daily struggle to heal and get better. I ask that you would all do the same.

If you want to donate to the cause, it's not too late: visit My DonorDrive Website where all money will go directly to CMN and Mercy Children's Hospital! Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin