Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of Teaching!

Well, I did it! I survived my first day of teaching high school in my very own classroom!

This post won't be very long, because I'm absolutely exhausted, but I wanted to make sure to count my blessings on this one.

First of all, my co-workers are amazing. Not only are they easy to relate to and so much fun to be around, but since most of us are first-year or second-year teachers, it's like we're all in this adventure together. It's good to have that kind of support and companionship, especially in a brand new job that can seem a little overwhelming.

The kids seem pretty cool. I had to throw one out today for being disrespectful, but other than that I really like my (few) students I had today. Attendance was down because a lot of our students didn't realize it was the first day of school. While that might seem odd at a traditional high school, it's not uncommon at an inner-city charter school. And while attendance was low today, the students who I did have seem to be cool and I hopefully have started a good rapport with them. That's so important with a student demographic like this, and I think I'm off to a good start! :)

Today was long, though. I got to school at about 7:10am and didn't leave until 6:30pm because I teach both day school and evening school. I know that this is going to be a challenge for me, but in the end I think it will be worth it (if for no other reason than the extra paycheck to help pay down loans). But I'm definitely exhausted after today!

At least I came home to a nice dinner that H cooked for me--he's so good at taking care of me when I'm tired or stressed. That's definitely another blessing. It's so good to have such an amazing boyfriend beside me who not only supports me in so many ways, but who also is there to help me recoup after a long day. God has truly blessed me with our relationship.

Overall, a wonderful first day of teaching! So many things to be thankful for, and while this year is probably going to be stressful and tiring, I'm excited to see what adventures it brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin